Monday, April 23, 2012

Re: The Conspiracy of Shakespeare

I just read an essay on a young girls experience with two different readings of Shakespeare; one reading glorified the historical, literary icon who may have contributed more than any other person to the establishment of the Center; secondly, there is the reading that recognizes Prospero as the colonizer to Caliban.  I, too, had this same experience.  I can't recall my first Shakespearean class even though I recieved an above average mark; however, when I encounter Shakespeare through a Post-Colonial lens it open'd my eyes to a much broader scope.  Not only was the reading different, it was one I felt more connected with.  In other words, understanding Caliban represented as a deformed, marginalized figure.  It actually gave me more of an appreciation, not for Shakespeare, but for his work.  In all actuality, I may have more of an affinity toward Christopher Marlow than Shakespeare.  I makes me recall the essence of Mis-education of the Negro by Dr. Woodson.  Does a traditional reading of Shakespeare contribute to the Mis-education of Black America?  With the diversity in culture, there has to be a type of hybridity in contextual readings.  To give a text one reading, would be to give the world one culture.

No comments: